Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Informational Texts

Whenever I think about informational texts, I often start feeling bored before I even start reading anything, or even see the book. Most of the informational texts I've read have been very dry and lack any of the qualities that make reading enjoyable (details, elaborated language, etc.). I also feel that informational texts can be very hard to relate to. Many books are written simply just to give the facts, not to really draw the reader into the information. However, I have read a few good informational texts. I enjoyed those because they presented the information in a format other than a cut-and-dry, here-are-the-facts manner.

I think children too, often think that informational texts are boring. Unfortunately I think that a lot of that is because of the types of things students are forced to read on standardized tests. It seems that the test makers pick out the most insipid topics and find passages that take whatever glimmer of interesting detail the topics may have and throw it out the window.

No comments: