Friday, February 8, 2008

Because of Winn Dixie Reader Response

A. Because of Winn Dixie
B. Kate DiCamillo
C. n/a
D. Candlewick Press, 2000
E. Novel, realistic fiction
F. 3-6
G. Because of Winn Dixie begins with the main character, India Opal, going into Winn Dixie, the grocery store, for a few things. When she gets inside, she sees that the store is in a state of complete chaos, caused by a stray dog whom she claims as her own and names Winn Dixie. She takes the dog home with her and convinces her father to let her keep it. Opal's relationship with her new dog leads her into many new relationships and wins her many friends which is terribly important since she had just moved into Naomi, Florida and had no friends. Throughout the book, she is plagued by a feeling of loneliness and emptiness. It is not until the culminating scene at a neighborhood party, that she feels that her heart is full and she is truly happy.

H. Melancholy and reflective are the best words to describe how I felt while reading Because of Winn Dixie. I lost my grandfather suddenly when I was twelve, and as I get older, I feel the memory of him beginning to fade. I was close to my grandfather and like Opal, there are things that I know would delight him if he could just see them. I know exactly how Opal feels, and as she discovered at the end, closure and love help bring things into focus.
Kate DiCamillo did a fantastic job of creating setting and characters. Having been raised in a small town in the South, it did not take me long at all to step into this book. I felt as though Opal could have been one of the many kids that lived down the street from me where I grew up. I remember riding my bike just about everywhere and I remember those terrifying storms that seem to creep up out of nowhere on humid summer nights. I became completely engrossed in the story and didn't put the book down until I had finished it. My favorite element of the story were the Littmus Lozenges. They were such an beautiful and imaginative metaphor for the ups and downs of life. I would love to taste one!
Culturally, I feel that I am very much like Opal. I grew up in a small southern town with a love for animals. I was naturally inclined to being outdoors and I was not shy by any means. I grew up with a Gloria in my neighborhood and a Miss Franny in my church. However, I almost wish that I hadn't been raised in such a similar environment for the purpose of reading this book. I feel that I miss out a little bit on the representations of everything and the charm of the town and its people because they are all so familiar to me.

I. In terms of teaching, this book would be a good way to expose children to a new culture or new area, if they are not from rural or Southern backgrounds. It's also a good tool for teaching the importance of being resilient or, as Gloria says, "You can only love what you got while you got it." (159).

No comments: