Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Zathura Reader Response

A. Zathura
B. Chris Van Allsburg
C. Chris Van Allsburg
D. Houghton Mifflin Books, 2002
E. picture book, fantasy
F. 2-4
G. Zathura is a story very similar to Jumanji in which two brothers play a game that sends them on a trip into outer space. During the game they encounter robots and space pirates and meteor showers. As the game continues and the brothers must make it through each turn together, Walter begins to see the value of his younger brother. Finally the two make it back home (after having traveled three hours back in time) where Walter tells Danny that he doesn't want to play Zathura when Danny finds the game in the yard. Walter suggests instead that they play catch.
H. To be honest, I wasn't terribly fond of this book. I wasn't fond of Jumanji and I guess the feelings carried over. To be sure, I like the idea of a space adventure a whole lot better than the animals and jungle-things that took over in Jumanji but I just couldn't really get into either story. A lot of that I think had to do with the fact that the movie scared me to death when I saw it for the first time when I was younger. However, the predicaments that the characters found themselves in were really imaginative. I found it quite comical when Danny's gravity was increased and he turned into a little ball much like Violet Beauregard after eating the blueberry something-or-other in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. When he asked Walter to roll him across the floor so he could take out the robot, I laughed out loud. What a smart kid!
I love the story within a story about how Walter changing his perspective of his younger brother, Danny. That part of the story is definitely something that all children with siblings can relate to. I know there were times when I wished my younger brother would move to Russia so he wouldn't get in my way or break my toys any more.
I also really liked the illustrations. There is something about Chris Van Allsburgs illustrations that really appeals to me. I love the simplicity of the pencil and the detail he adds into every spread. The shading is so fantastic; it would be easy to overlook the fact that this story is in black and white.
I. This story is a great representation of a sibling relationship. Anyone who has a brother or sister can relate to how both Danny and Walter feel at various times in the story. The book carries a great lesson on how valuable siblings can be and how important it is to treat them with love and kindness. I think children would really relate to this book and enjoy it because the lesson isn't one to be noticed easily. It would great to lead a discussion with the students after reading the book about a time when they have felt as Walter did in the beginning. And then help them to realize all the reasons they love their brothers and/or sisters.

2 comments:

Dr. Frye said...

Thanks for your comments; have you checked out Van Allsburg's web site yet? Please do. Is it the story-line and the illustrations that you don't find appealing or just one of the two. I would like to know more...
http://www.chrisvanallsburg.com/home.html

JMoore said...

I think it's mostly the storyline. I love Van Allsburg's illustrations in all of his books. I've never been one for science-fiction-y type stories. This story just didn't "do it" for me.